Thursday, June 11, 2009

Last Blog... =/

First of all, this class has been by far one of the most interesting courses I have taken at ISU.  This was a class I took "for fun" and I debated over dropping it before it started and I am really glad that I did not.  I feel more knowledgeable about politics and what is happening in our country, and I hope to continue reading about current events and become engaged in the community politically.
  1. What was your favorite section of the class and why?
It is really hard to choose a favorite section.  It was really interesting to learn about social security and medicare and the debt.  Also, I thought it was interesting to see how much money goes into campaigns (that's ridiculous how much it is. And to think...someone has to lose...)  I also liked any time that we used the internet to look up current statistics (the debt and the approval ratings).  It made what was happening in the country more real.
  1. Which one was the least interesting, and why?
The least interesting section was learning about the parts of the constitution because I feel like that is the only thing I have ever learned in all of my history classes.  However, it is important to know and it was a helpful review.
  1. How did you feel about your knowledge of government prior to this class, has it changed?
Prior to class, I basically just knew random history facts that were drilled into our heads since elementary school.  Now I feel like I know politics...and not just the history of how the United States formed.  I also feel like with some research, I could actually understand what I am reading and could then have an intelligent debate with someone with opposing views.
  1. Give me an honest assessment of your generation , politically speaking, if you had to judge it based on your friends.
Most of my friends do not seem to be hard-core politically engaged, but a lot of them are from my hometown or around my hometown so we all tend to have the same view.  I think my generation is more democratic (at least around here) and will listen to the opinions of other people.  I also feel like we are so used to having to be "politically correct" that a lot of youth do not like to talk about politics because they do not want to offend anyone.
  1. What can you do to make your commitment to your country stronger than it is today?
I think just trying to stay involved on campus and learning about current events will help me be more committed to the country.  
  1. Any other feelings about the class?
Loved the class and I wish it was longer! (I never thought I would say that about a class...let alone politics!)  The West Wing episodes were awesome so thank you for showing those!

=)

No comments:

Post a Comment